Gulmarg is an ideal holiday destination catering to both nature enthusiasts and fearless adventurers
The snow-bound mountains and the icy cold climate give you a breathtaking skiing experience
If you love the snow and want to experience the thrill of speeding down snow-covered mountains now is the time to do so. As the temperature drops, Booking.com has curated a list of ski destinations from classic crowd pleasers to off-grid spots to plan your snowy escapade. So whether you are an experienced skier or a relative fresher looking to try something new, these snowy destinations in India promise some memorable ski experience.
The snow-bound mountains and the icy cold climate give you a breathtaking skiing experience. If you love snow and enjoy skiing, we recommend these top six skiing destinations in India that promise you a wonderful and adventurous experience. Scroll below and read on.
- Gulmarg, Jammu & KashmirGulmarg is an ideal holiday destination catering to both nature enthusiasts and fearless adventurers. Head to the Apharwat Peak which attracts skiers with more challenging and advanced slopes. Highland Park is an area in Gulmarg known for freestyle skiing. The Gulmarg Gondola Ride offers some of the most breathtaking views of the towering pines and firs. Take a walk on the frozen Alpather Lake which turns into a skating, trekking and sleighing point in December. A ‘Snow Festival’ taking place in January of every year includes live music, delicious food, skiing competitions, ice sculptures and many more entertaining pursuits.
- Kufri, Himachal PradeshKufri located near Shimla in Himachal Pradesh serves as a winter wonderland for its travellers with skiing being one of the main attractions. The Mahasu Peak is a perfect spot for all skiing enthusiasts, with fresh snow-covered slopes providing an ideal setting for this winter sport. Indulge in adventure activities at the Kufri Fun World and enjoy go-karting, mini zoos and other fun rides. Yaks and horseback rides provide one of the most unique experiences to explore this snowy landscape.
- Yumthang, SikkimCapture a sunrise over the snow-capped peaks at the Valley of Flowers in Yumthang and explore the Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary. Mount Katao in North Sikkim offers a spectacular sight covered in snow. For dedicated skiing experiences in Sikkim, travellers may explore Lachung, a perfect destination for beginners. Enjoy a ski ride at Gurudongmar Lake with crystal-clear water and high-capped mountain peaks. The soothing sound of the water around the Yumthang Chu River helps calm the soul and de-stress.
- Narkanda, Himachal Pradesh The Hatu Peak in Narkanda, one of the highest peaks in the area, offers a panoramic view of the city with the best trekking opportunities. Tannu Jabar Lake serves as a perfect picnic spot to enjoy the clear reflection of the surrounding trees in the lake water, which freezes in December to form a perfect skiing spot. Other locations ideal for an exceptional skiing experience include – The Kacheri Ridge, Fagu and Kotgarh, which have beautiful charms of apple orchards surrounding them. Kinnaur, another popular destination for skiers and trekkers, is surrounded by numerous temples and is renowned for its cultural heritage, as well as its handloom and handicraft materials.
- Auli, UttarakhandWhen in Auli, prepare for a range of activities such as skiing, hiking, camping, taking a ropeway ride, trekking and more. Auli is the place for numerous national and international skiing events, drawing enthusiasts from across the globe. Experience the city’s longest ropeways in India located at Joshimath, connected through an extensive cable car system. This destination hosts Winter Carnivals annually, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of the region with entertaining activities and events.
- Pahalgam, Jammu & Kashmir Explore the Aru Valley located at some distance from Pahalgam, renowned for skiing, paragliding and trekking. One can discover the Mini Switzerland at Baisaran and engage in adventurous activities like Zip Lining, Zorbing and Camping. Also experience winter snowfall at Betaab Valley, providing opportunities for snow-trekking and skiing. Pahalgam is a must-visit place to experience the adventure of the winter sport, amidst the natural beauty this place has to offer.