Last Updated: July 17, 2023, 11:45 AM IST
The monsoon session of the Maharashtra legislature has begun at the Vidhan Bhavan. This is the first session after the entry of NCP led by former Leader of Opposition (LoP) Ajit Pawar in the Eknath Shinde-led Shiv Sena-BJP government.
The three-week-long session will be held from July 17 to August 4 at the Vidhan Bhavan Complex in Nariman Point.
According to an YEARS report, there are a total of 24 proposed bills in the monsoon session. Of these, 10 have received the nod from the Cabinet and 14 are awaiting approval.
Maharashtra Assembly Monsoon Session Latest Updates
- Ahead of the commencement of the monsoon session, Maharashtra Congress MLAs on Sunday staged a protest outside the Maharashtra Assembly. NCP MLAs belonging to the Sharad Pawar faction were not part of the protest.
- The MLAs, led by former minister Yashomati Thakur and Mumbai Congress chief Varsha Gaikwad, gathered on the steps of the Vidhan Bhavan and raised slogans against the current government.
- Meanwhile, the second Deputy Chief Minister of Maharashtra and rebel NCP leader Ajit Pawar met with the Speaker of the Maharashtra legislative assembly ahead of the monsoon session today.
- Ajit Pawar also offered garland to the Chhatrapati Shivaji statue in Vidhan Bhavan.
- A day before the commencement of the monsoon session, Maharashtra Congress on Sunday staked claim on the Leader of Opposition (LoP) post in the state Assembly, its legislative party leader Balasaheb Thorat said.
- The LoP post had been lying vacant since after Ajit Pawar resigned on July 2 and joined the Eknath Shinde-Devendra Fadnavis government as the second Deputy Chief Minister.