Last Updated: June 26, 2023, 10:51 AM IST
Star India wrestlers Vinesh Phogat and Sakshi Malik have said they are taking a break from social media for a few days. The duo, along with Bajrang Punia, has been spearheading the protest against Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) chief Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh in the national capital.
This comes after Phogat shared a copy of the letter on social media showing that the six wrestlers didn’t ask for exemption from the Asian Games trials and only wanted more time for preparation since they were involved in the protest.
Let’s take a break from social media for a few days.. Aap sabka dhanyavaad (Taking a break from social media for a few days.. Thank you, everyone), she Phogat posted on Twitter.
Taking a break from social media for a few days.. Thank you all 🙏 — Vinesh Phogat (@Phogat_Vinesh) June 25, 2023
Malik later wrote, “I am taking a break from social media for a few days. Aap sabka dhanyavaad (I am also taking a break from social media for a few days. Thank you everyone).”
Olympic medallist Yogeshwar Dutt had last week raised questions over the exemption given to the protesting wrestlers by the Indian Olympic Association’s ad-hoc panel.
The trio of Phogat, Malik and Punia alleged Dutt is attacking them out of self-interest.
“You (Dutt) scared wrestlers that’s why they did not come in the second protest (from April 23). You put pressure on them that they will lose their jobs. People told us that they were with us but they have compulsions that they can’t come,” Phogat said.
“I will tell you why you are doing this. Brij Bhushan might have offered you the post of WFI President and that’s why you have sided with him,” she added.
The wrestlers were removed from Jantar Mantar and suspended their protest after assurance from Sports Minister Anurag Thakur that a chargesheet will be filed against Brij Bhushan and no member of his family will be permitted to contest WFI elections.