Over 97% Of Assam Police Force Clear First-Ever BMI Test

New Delhi: A total of 97.53 per cent of the Assam police personnel on Sunday cleared the first-ever Body Mass Index (BMI) test for the state’s sleuths. The remaining 2.47 per cent personnel flunked the test. According to Assam Director General of Police (DGP) Gyanendra Pratap Singh, as many as 68,413 out of the total 70,161 police personnel, who underwent the BMI test passed, while 1,748 failed to meet the criteria. A BMI of 30 or below is considered as “physically fit.”

Taking to X, DGP Singh posted, “Reference BMI tests, the first phase of the exercise is over. Total number of BMI tests done for Assam police personnel; 70,161. Number of obese (30+BMI) police personnel; 1,748 (2.47 per cent).”

The DGP further said that those who failed the BMI test will undergo other medical examinations to look for any underlying ailment and will be provided medical and nutritional support. They will undergo another BMI test after three months.

“As approved by CM office Assam, these personnel would now be thoroughly tested at the government medical colleges for underlying medical conditions and provided medical and nutritional support and tested again after three months. Hope to see a fitter Assam police in days and years to come,” DGP Singh further stated in his post.

The top cop also expressed gratitude to Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma and the state government for their continuing support in the quest to improve fitness of the state police force.

Earlier this year, DGP Singh had announced that a fitness survey of all the state police personnel, including Indian Police Service (IPS) and Assam Police Service (APS) officers, would be conducted and those who are found to be “unfit” will be offered voluntary retirement.

Notably, the BMI test started on August 16 with the DGP being the first to undergo the test scoring a BMI of 25. The tests were conducted between August 16 and August 30 in 36 different locations across the state.